Surprise your family with 4 of July patriotic pie crust recipe!
PREP TIME 60 mins
COOK TIME 70 mins
TOTAL TIME 3 hrs 10 mins
SERVINGS 12 servings
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 14 ounces butter (3 1/2 sticks), cut into cubes
- 7/8 cup sour cream (that’s 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp)
- 1 pint blueberries (about 0.6 lbs, 280 g)
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch, flour, or minute tapioca
- 3 1/2 pounds strawberries, hulled, quartered
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch, flour, or minute tapioca
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of milk or cream
Start by making with the pie dough:
1. Cut the butter into cubes and let the cubes sit for about 10 minutes, so the butter softens a bit to room temperature. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt to incorporate into one mix.
2. Add the butter into the flour mixture and toss to cover with the flour. Using your hands, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Do not overwork the flour/butter mixture.
3. Add the sour cream and use a spatula or whisk mix until incorporated.
4. Mix with your hands until the mixture come together. Divide into 3 equal balls.
5. Turn each one of the balls into a rectangle formed disc. Sprinkle each with a bit of flour and wrap individually with plastic wrap.
6. Chill dough for 1 to 2 hours or let it sit overnight in the refrigerator if you are making a day ahead.
In a large bowl, add the quartered strawberries and toss with sugar, cornstarch (or flour, or minute tapioca), and orange zest.
In a separate smaller bowl, mix the blueberries, sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cornstarch (or flour or minute tapioca), and toss to combine.
Use parchment paper to cover the bottom of a 13 x 18-inch rimmed sheet pan.
On a clean, lightly floured surface, roll out one of the discs to 11 x 17-inches and arrange on half of the sheet pan, with an inch of dough edge over the sides of the sheet pan and the dough which will cover through the center of the pan.
Do the same with the other disc. Roll out the second disc and cover the other half of the sheet pan on the opposite side, from center to edge.
Remove any excess dough from center. Form this excess into a ball, then use your hands to roll into a long rope. Crimp that rope of dough and form a rectangle in one corner of the sheet pan. This is where your berries and stars will go. The dough will help keep the blueberries from running into the strawberries. (If you don’t have excess dough at this point, don’t worry, you will have extra dough later when you cut away the stars and stripes.)
1. Put the tray in the refrigerator to chill.
- Make egg wash:
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg white and milk or cream.
- Roll out dough for stars and stripes:
Take out the third rectangular disc of dough from the fridge and let sit for 10 minutes to soften and come to room temperature. Roll out so that the longest point is 18-inches.
Use a blunt dinner knife or or a pizza wheel to cut out stripes. You’ll need 2 stripes about 18 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide, and 2 stripes about 10 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide.
Use a star shaped cookie cutter to cut out stars
- In another sheet pan or cookie sheet, place the stars and stripes separately so that they don’t overlap. Brush with egg wash. Put the tray in the fridge to chill.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 450°
Fill the pie with the fruit spreads and top with stars and stripes:
Spread the strawberries over the part of the sheet pan where the red and white stripes go. Scoop the blueberries into the corner where the blue stars go.
- Arrange the stars and strips of dough on top of the berries in a straight line to form the flag. Return to the fridge to chill for 10-15 minutes before baking.
Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes. Then cover loosely with foil and lower the heat to 375°F and bake for another 45 to 55 minutes or longer, until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool the pie at least an hour before serving.